19 November 2013

Interview with Kasie West!

A couple of weeks ago, the lovely Kasie West agreed to participate in an interview with me. I sent over some questions and these are the answers I got back. 

Be sure to follow Kasie on twitter: www.twitter.com/kasiewest
Check out her website: http://www.kasiewest.com/

What led you to writing, how long have you wanted to do this?

I kind of fell into writing. It was never something I thought I wanted to do. I’m not one of those writers who wrote stories on her wall when she was a toddler. I was a reader. I loved to read very much. Still do. One day about seven years ago, I had an idea for a story and my husband encouraged me to write it. So I did. I loved writing so much. The story was awful (I didn’t know that at the time) but the process of writing hooked me. So I kept writing and kept trying to get my stories published and then I wrote Pivot Point.

What is your favourite genre to read?
I love all sorts of genres, but my favorite right now (and for a while now) is contemporary. I love the emotions and characters of a good contemporary. And I love how generally relatable the stories are.

How challenging do you find it to write both contemporary and fantasy?
It’s definitely something I can’t do simultaneously. I have to have a whole different mind set when I write the different stories. But I enjoy writing in both genres so I enjoy the challenge.

What music do you listen to while writing, who inspires you?
Maybe surprisingly for some, I don’t listen to music when I write. It distracts me. I get caught up in the lyrics and I start to sing and/or type them. I’m not saying that songs don’t inspire me. I’m definitely inspired by songs I hear in the car when I’m driving or when I’m working out. I hear lyrics and music that prompts ideas or storylines. But when I sit down in front of the computer to write them, it is silent. But I’m a fan of cheesy alternative rock ballads. Secondhand Serenade, Mayday Parade, The Fray, etc.

 Do you draw on personal experiences in your stories?
Sure, I think experiences in my life have influenced the way characters in my story react to certain situations. And definitely settings work their way into my stories. But not necessarily scenes or people. Those are all made up.

Which of your characters would you say is most like yourself?
I’m sure there is a little bit of me in all my characters even though I try not to do that. My sister in law says that Caymen sounded the most like me, but I think Caymen is way more dry and sarcastic than I am. I can’t tell a joke without laughing at myself.

What information can you share about your upcoming books, On the Fence and The Fill-In Boyfriend?
On the Fence is my contemporary that comes out on July 1, 2014. It is about a girl with three brothers who ends up falling for the neighbor boy who happens to be her really good friend. She’s a tom boy who loves sports and driving fast and running. Her competitive nature leads her to challenge the boy next door to a game of ‘who knows who better’ that they play on lonely nights with a fence separating them in the back yard. It’s a fun book that I hope fans of The Distance Between Us will love.

The Fill-In Boyfriend is a book about a girl whose boyfriend dumps her in the parking lot of prom. The problem with this is that she’d been bragging about this boy, her long distance boyfriend, to her friends for months and this was the first time they were actually supposed to meet him. So she decides to snag a boy she sees waiting in his car to pick up his little sister from prom and has him pretend to be her boyfriend. He plays the role a little too well but then leaves without her ever learning his real name. I love this book and the release date is way too far away. I wish I could share it with you all way sooner.
Split Second will be released on 11th February 2014. You can preorder it in the UK from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Split-Second-Pivot-Point-Kasie/dp/0062117386/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1384695811&sr=1-3.
The Distance Between Us is available now. You can buy it in the UK from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Distance-Between-Kasie-West/dp/0062235656.
1528304318298225
On The Fence will be released on 1st July 2014. You can preorder it in the UK from this link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/On-Fence-Kasie-West/dp/0062235672
The Fill-In Boyfriend will be released at some time in 2015. As of now, there is no preorder link.

To see my review of The Distance Between Us, click on this link here.

All images taken from http://www.kasiewest.com/

2 comments:

  1. Waaa, this is an amazing interview! I'm glad to finally get to know more about Kasie, she's is without a doubt my favorite debut author this year <3

    Also, DID NOT KNOW ABOUT THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, ohhhhh sounds so good! it's sad that it is not in my near future ):

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Not bad for a first attempt then? Kasie was lovely when we arranged this, such a nice person and such a great writer! I love Rainbow Rowell as well, have you read anything from her before? If not, get one that! Doesn't The Fill In Boyfriend sound amazing too? July is too far away! Thanks for checking out my blog, be sure to return! :-)

      Delete